Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
isha
Verified Username

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by isha »

I agree. They should be charged with something criminal.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

And no statute of limitations.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Shocking. Someone asked for information via a Freedom of Information request. In error the response was a monumental cockup. The person, unknown, published the data on a website, unknown, where it was available for about 3 hours. It has the surname, initial, rank, and place stationed of every single employee of the PSNI. I happen to know several PSNI officers. Lovely people. Good people. I don't give a damn for historical feelings about the RUC. etc. This is devastating for people working in a very dangerous job. Look at what happened to John Caldwell only a short while ago. I know people who still routinely check under their cars. Fecken disaster.

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:21 am Shocking. Someone asked for information via a Freedom of Information request. In error the response was a monumental cockup. The person, unknown, published the data on a website, unknown, where it was available for about 3 hours. It has the surname, initial, rank, and place stationed of every single employee of the PSNI. I happen to know several PSNI officers. Lovely people. Good people. I don't give a damn for historical feelings about the RUC. etc. This is devastating for people working in a very dangerous job. Look at what happened to John Caldwell only a short while ago. I know people who still routinely check under their cars. Fecken disaster.

Loyalists/mi5 trying to force out catholic officers by setting em up,just as calls for 50/50 recruitment are returning,due to psni being completely discredited this last while

I don't believe for a second this was a 'mistake',taking place in middle of marching season too🧐
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Cowards die every day, brave men die once
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Setanta wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:32 pm Loyalists/mi5 trying to force out catholic officers by setting em up,just as calls for 50/50 recruitment are returning,due to psni being completely discredited this last while

I don't believe for a second this was a 'mistake',taking place in middle of marching season too🧐
Yep, this is from the organisation that are still calling that attack in February a republican attack, says all you need to know about the PSNI
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:44 pm Yep, this is from the organisation that are still calling that attack in February a republican attack, says all you need to know about the PSNI
Same organisation which seized a car as evidence in a UDA drug fued and left it on the street over night outside the police station to be burnt....but silence from PC brigade and media who pedal concept of law & order....a heavily discredited police force,who noone think is impartial,old habits die hard it seems
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Setanta wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:52 pm Same organisation which seized a car as evidence in a UDA drug fued and left it on the street over night outside the police station to be burnt....but silence from PC brigade and media who pedal concept of law & order....a heavily discredited police force,who noone think is impartial,old habits die hard it seems
This was predictable, try make the focus on republicans
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/08 ... ing-board/
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:01 pm This was predictable, try make the focus on republicans
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/08 ... ing-board/
Nothing in there that wasn't beyond reach of dissident republican anyway,except the names/rank of those seconded to mi5

Politically speaking an attack on mi5 individual is troublesome for all in the establishment,as PC brigade deosnt like it highlighted that mi5 aren't accountable to anyone in Ireland and is by definition an example of colonial practice

But I doubt (and hope) they aren't good enough,or stupid enough to take on such an attack,as politically it would play well in UK for Sunak to hype up threat,and set them up for assination to shore up internal support in conservative party.......a nothing story,that amounts to nothing,but should bring psni under proper scrutiny by the PC brigade,it's been a disgrace along while now

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Curiouser and curiouser

,bit like the Caldwell shooting,whole thing stinks

Late edit:
Not to be clogging up the thread,wee update upon the "missing" laptop of 2 months that noone was told about

Do people really still the psni isn't overdue a massive overhaul

Post by 95438756 »

Right Wing Trump Admirer leads the poll in Argentina. :-?
BBC News - Javier Milei: Trump admirer leads race for Argentina presidency
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-66496816
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another country that needs proper democracy not USA style politics. If he gets elected he will no doubt whip up Falklands hysteria when his other policies fail.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

gugleguy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:58 pm Right Wing Trump Admirer leads the poll in Argentina. :-?
BBC News - Javier Milei: Trump admirer leads race for Argentina presidency
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-66496816
I’ve seen many publications refer to him as a trump admirer but it just seems to be a way of dismissing him. It’s cheap.

Post by 95438756 »

Theft at the museum - employee fired
BBC News - British Museum worker sacked over missing items
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66527422
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I've been reading about the murder of Joe Deacy. It seems that those involved won't come forward and I sort of get that. There are people who will self preserve to the last and go to great lengths to avoid a conviction. What I can't get my head around is what appears to be a hatred for Joe and the impression that his family and supporters are wrong for seeking justice. There is a big sign with Joe's name on it that is regularly being vandalised and rubbish dumped at it. Very odd.

What say yee? Any thoughts?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Somehow I completely missed hearing about Joe Deacy. It's an awful story. The poor young man. Unbearable for his family. Desperate if there's some kind of cover up going on or intimidation campaign.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

isha wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:16 pm Somehow I completely missed hearing about Joe Deacy. It's an awful story. The poor young man. Unbearable for his family. Desperate if there's some kind of cover up going on or intimidation campaign.
It's very sad. His family must feel so helpless and angry.
I have a bad habit of thinking what if when it comes to what seems like an obvious wrong doing and an innocent person loses their life or has their reputation destroyed. It comes across as victim blaming on my part but I'm just considering all the possible sides.

The young lad was left on the driveway of a house unaided and with injuries that led to his death. What if there is more to it and those responsible have reasons for keeping quite? Reasons other than being awful people I mean. Maybe the sign with Joe's name is often vandalised for reasons?

I remember when the Maurice McCabe scandal came to light and thinking that maybe there is no smoke without fire. People are strange.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:23 pm It's very sad. His family must feel so helpless and angry.
I have a bad habit of thinking what if when it comes to what seems like an obvious wrong doing and an innocent person loses their life or has their reputation destroyed. It comes across as victim blaming on my part but I'm just considering all the possible sides.

The young lad was left on the driveway of a house unaided and with injuries that led to his death. What if there is more to it and those responsible have reasons for keeping quite? Reasons other than being awful people I mean. Maybe the sign with Joe's name is often vandalised for reasons?

I remember when the Maurice McCabe scandal came to light and thinking that maybe there is no smoke without fire. People are strange.
I think/looks like, it was a house party where things just got outta hand TBH.....wouldn't be the first where someone died/killed and everything covered up

Eventually one of those young folk at it,will break and go to the gaurds....I'd be very surprised if the family/gaurds didn't have a fair idea of what happened,but can't prove it

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Setanta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:42 pm I think/looks like, it was a house party where things just got outta hand TBH.....wouldn't be the first where someone died/killed and everything covered up

Eventually one of those young folk at it,will break and go to the gaurds....I'd be very surprised if the family/gaurds didn't have a fair idea of what happened,but can't prove it
I did a bit of digging and it looks like it wasn't a party and instead was Joe in a house with 3 others who lived there. Every year on his anniversary family and friends walk to the house where Joe was found as a sort of vigil.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:23 pm It's very sad. His family must feel so helpless and angry.

I'm from not far from there. It's well known the Gardai royally fucked up by contaminating the crime scene thinking it was an accident and have done everything to cover their tracks
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

I think poor Joe was staying in that house because he was friends with a boy who lived there and the boys parents were also present the night Joe was beaten. There are parts of Ireland where the law doesn't really apply in the normal way. Sure there are Gardaí present but they are either corrupt or easily influenced and other groups can wield power. Maybe. That might be what's happening in Mayo.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0820/1400656-cork-ironman/

Two men die in the swimming part of the Iron Man down in Cork - horrible! And the event is continuing with a 90km cycle and a long run. I don't think that's cool. When the two men died recently during the rally in Sligo the event was stopped. Could iron man not wait till tomorrow? I dunno, probably I'm wrong here, but I think it's a bit callous. What do ye think?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:58 pm https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0820/1400656-cork-ironman/

Two men die in the swimming part of the Iron Man down in Cork - horrible! And the event is continuing with a 90km cycle and a long run. I don't think that's cool. When the two men died recently during the rally in Sligo the event was stopped. Could iron man not wait till tomorrow? I dunno, probably I'm wrong here, but I think it's a bit callous. What do ye think?
My thoughts entirely.

Out of respect at the very least.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The husband just shrugged and said let them on, they're all set for it. I guess it's a point. I just think it's disrespectful and not something that usually happens. Like say if someone on a football team died, the match would stop. Two people. For God's sake.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

It's strange alright.
Don't know how many overall participants are involved in Ironman, but how can they calculate just how many lost lives are acceptable before stopping the event?
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Seems like folks dying at Ironman events is a common enough occurrence - there's even a wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... fatalities

These events seem specifically designed to 'do a Darwin' on the weaker competitors so maybe the thinking is that that you just carry on?! 😬

In any case, folks must know going into these events that there's a risk. Looking at the age profile it seems the deaths are predominantly men in their 40s and older. If you pull out the road accidents, more and more cardiac events occur as the age increases. Drowning is the other big cause and I'd venture a guess that many of those were cardiac events while in the water.