Ireland is Rugby Country!

The burning issues of the day
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Ireland is Rugby Country!

Post by Del.Monte »

Wow (!), it was worthwhile switching on Newstalk this morning just to hear Shane Coleman's apoplectic rant about rugby not being Ireland's most popular sport - not being "The Team of Us, Everyone In". I have news for him, it as much the "Team of Us" as the GAA is "Part of What We Are". The tiny Energia survey of customers in July concluded that rugby is "the country's number one sport". The 1,000 customers surveyed were probably in D.4. but who cares!

This is officially Rugby Country, according to a new survey carried out by Energia, the IRFU's 'energy partner'.

The survey, which canvassed 1,008 Energia customers in July concludes that rugby is "the country's number one sport", with 31% of respondents claiming it is their "favourite sport".

That compares with soccer (27%), gaelic football (23%), and hurling/camogie (19%).

Of those surveyed, 74% believe Ireland will go further than ever before and reach at least the semi-finals of the upcoming Rugby World Cup. Though just 61% say they will be watching. While 44% believe Ireland will win the competition.

Shane's beloved soccer is a joke and as as for the sectarian GAA.... :mrgreen:

When Ireland get knocked out of the RWC - as usual - the bandwagonners will fold their tents/bandwagons and leave the field for us true believers - Rugby is Life!
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Ireland is Rugby Country!

Post by CelticRambler »

When introducing myself as an Irishman to the natives here in France, I've never been asked if I play or follow GAA sports - only ever le rrrrrugby, which (to them) is Ireland's national sport, and one we're damn good at.

I was once contacted by the local radio station to offer a perspective on Ireland playing le foot (aka soccer) ... I told them I didn't think it was a thing. :P

Post by 95438756 »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:33 am I was once contacted by the local radio station to offer a perspective on Ireland playing le foot (aka soccer) ... I told them I didn't think it was a thing. :P
Slight relief.
But just have to look at most Android smartphone adverts here - the tenuous link between sport and device don't worry the corporate crowd.

Post by 678904673 »

I would like to put on record that I am officially on this bandwagon and will be riding it hard over the next few weeks. I'm even learning the words to Ireland's Call:)
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:31 am Wow (!), it was worthwhile switching on Newstalk this morning just to hear Shane Coleman's apoplectic rant about rugby not being Ireland's most popular sport - not being "The Team of Us, Everyone In". I have news for him, it as much the "Team of Us" as the GAA is "Part of What We Are". The tiny Energia survey of customers in July concluded that rugby is "the country's number one sport". The 1,000 customers surveyed were probably in D.4. but who cares!

This is officially Rugby Country, according to a new survey carried out by Energia, the IRFU's 'energy partner'.

The survey, which canvassed 1,008 Energia customers in July concludes that rugby is "the country's number one sport", with 31% of respondents claiming it is their "favourite sport".

That compares with soccer (27%), gaelic football (23%), and hurling/camogie (19%).

Of those surveyed, 74% believe Ireland will go further than ever before and reach at least the semi-finals of the upcoming Rugby World Cup. Though just 61% say they will be watching. While 44% believe Ireland will win the competition.

When Ireland get knocked out of the RWC - as usual - the bandwagonners will fold their tents/bandwagons and leave the field for us true believers - Rugby is Life!
I heard some of that conversation. I think you are being a bit unkind to Shane. He rightly pointed out that Energia are connected to the IRFU so the survey was bound to be skewed, and he is also right in relation to rugby being associated, in Dublin anyway, with a small number of schools. He did clarify that he hoped Ireland would do well in the World Cup. He has no issue with rugby per se, but would be more into soccer and Gaelic football. From my experience, what sports people follow (if any) depends on who you talk to. I know some who only follow soccer, some who only follow Gaelic football and/or hurling, some who only follow rugby and some who are into a combination of two or more of these. Since rugby turned professional here, there has been an increasing following of the sport by the public at large.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:31 am Wow (!), it was worthwhile switching on Newstalk this morning just to hear Shane Coleman's apoplectic rant about rugby not being Ireland's most popular sport - not being "The Team of Us, Everyone In". I have news for him, it as much the "Team of Us" as the GAA is "Part of What We Are". The tiny Energia survey of customers in July concluded that rugby is "the country's number one sport". The 1,000 customers surveyed were probably in D.4. but who cares!

Del what did I tell you yesterday about listening to Shane Coleman on Newstalk in the morning.

It has finally warped your brain if you believe Rugby is our no.1 sport.

Yeah Irish people, even those from traditional non rugby playing areas and backgrounds will watch Ireland play and hope they win or at least get past the quarter finals where they have always faltered.
But then they will as usual go watch soccer on the telly, maybe even take in LOI match, take their kids to the local soccer club or the local GAA club.

A lot of dyed in the wool GAA people will follow rugby as
1. it is an All Ireland sport
2. it is not seen as that awful English round ground ball game
3. it is almost as manly as the good old GAA (although all the recent moves over the last few years to stamp out the old fighting, the close line tackles, the shoulders to the head, etc is taking a lot of the manliness out of it ;) )

Some of us just like sport when it is played well.
Oh and when we are doing well at it.

PS It's France's turn to win.
Host nations tend to do well, even if another team is better than them in tournament or final.
As proof see 1995, 2011.
Now of course it helps if you have just come out of an apartheid regime or have had a massive earthquake.
France has to think of something quick.
Yeah I am cynical about top sport.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Regarding the "D4"/Dublin thing - from this side of the Celtic Sea, it Munster that's seen as *the* Irish team. Should there be any Corkonians amongst the Gubernites, they'll be delighted to hear that the majority of French people think of Cork and Munster as Ireland's headline locations; Dublin is some other town that you might visit if you have the time (after you've done Galway). :mrgreen:
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Rugby is a load of fat blokes running into each other.

Talentless shite.

The most engineered and skilled sport in the world - Tennis - a real man's game has 0 popularity in Ireland sadly.

Post by 95438756 »

jmayo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:23 am .
Yeah I am cynical about top sport.
Emporer palpetine would highly approve of you.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

It's a game for people who don't like sport,it rewards brawn and not skill...

you'll rarely see someone passionate about rugby has an interest in other sports....while people passionate and into other sports would have an interest in rugby
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Cowards die every day, brave men die once

Post by 95438756 »

Setanta wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:59 am It's a game for people who don't like sport,it rewards brawn and not skill...

you'll rarely see someone passionate about rugby has an interest in other sports....
they'll cast aspersions to playing some pitch and putt or table tennis
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I know someone who is passionate about rugby and hurling - they are from Limerick. I also know someone who is passionate about rugby and soccer - they are from Dublin and went to one of those schools associated with rugby.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

RogerMoore wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:36 am Rugby is a load of fat blokes running into each other.

Talentless shite.

The most engineered and skilled sport in the world - Tennis - a real man's game has 0 popularity in Ireland sadly.
Now that's what I call trolling. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Setanta wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:59 am It's a game for people who don't like sport,it rewards brawn and not skill...

you'll rarely see someone passionate about rugby has an interest in other sports....while people passionate and into other sports would have an interest in rugby
I am interested in other sport - cricket and hockey - and have played all three. I could have been a contender - if I had been good enough - but in any event I like to give others a chance. :mrgreen: As for soccer, it's a big girls game with a large thuggish element amongst its supporters.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:32 pm I am interested in other sport - cricket and hockey - and have played all three. I could have been a contender - if I had been good enough - but in any event I like to give others a chance. :mrgreen: As for soccer, it's a big girls game with a large thuggish element amongst its supporters.
Cricket really has died a death here....I remember it being played openly when I was growing up,even kids practicing it on local.GAA and soccer Fields

There used be a team based 200 yards from where I grown up,and most older houses here (and the pub!) would have bats left lying about.....and now it's no more exists as a game anymore🤷
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Setanta wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:44 pm Cricket really has died a death here....I remember it being played openly when I was growing up,even kids practicing it on local.GAA and soccer Fields

There used be a team based 200 yards from where I grown up,and most older houses here (and the pub!) would have bats left lying about.....and now it's no more exists as a game anymore🤷
You're taking the piss surely as cricket has blossomed here in recent years. I don't have any interest in Irish cricket as Test Match cricket is where it's at and Ireland have only very recently achieved that level. This: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4031590 article would tend to indicate that you're talking nonsense generated by your dislike for anything British?
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:07 pm You're taking the piss surely as cricket has blossomed here in recent years. I don't have any interest in Irish cricket as Test Match cricket is where it's at and Ireland have only very recently achieved that level. This: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4031590 article would tend to indicate that you're talking nonsense generated by your dislike for anything British?
I just don't ever see it played about here anymore,it used be played regularly when I was grown up,(used even been a marching pipeband aswell-a knock-off of an orange band operate out of an old farm shed here)I doubt you'd even get a bat in local sports shops anymore

It would been a big sport here well into the 80s/90s like,still see the ball being put into offeratrys at funerals for ould lads....

whereas you'd never hear it being played anymore....I'm sure it's thriving,but certainly not in a traditional heartland,and I would be indifferent to it,and feel it has more to offer children than rugby in terms of skill levels and technical ability reached through practice

Post by 678904673 »

Setanta wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:44 pm Cricket really has died a death here....I remember it being played openly when I was growing up,even kids practicing it on local.GAA and soccer Fields

Depends where you are. I live near the Phoenix Park where there are 2 pitches and both are pretty busy most weekend days and weekday evenings.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:29 pm Depends where you are. I live near the Phoenix Park where there are 2 pitches and both are pretty busy most weekend days and weekday evenings.
It would be good in likes of Dublin ...I remember years ago seeing all the Indians and pakis playing it every evening when I stayed in Adelaide for few months

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:07 pm You're taking the piss surely as cricket has blossomed here in recent years. I don't have any interest in Irish cricket as Test Match cricket is where it's at and Ireland have only very recently achieved that level. This: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4031590 article would tend to indicate that you're talking nonsense generated by your dislike for anything British?
Some people just want to drag their tired agenda into everything!!!

Cricket is thriving in Ireland as it always has - I saw an excellent documentary where we effectively invented it!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Cricket