Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

GUBU moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
Guburnor
Site Admin

GUBU moment of the day

Post by Guburnor »

Our inaugural GUBU moment of the day is Katherine Zappone's new job. Thread here: Zappone made 'Special Envoy for Freedom of Expression'

If you see anything in the news that makes you stop and think, "That's just good old fashioned GUBU", let us know here.

For those unfamiliar with the term:
The phrase grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented was paraphrased from a comment by then Taoiseach Charles Haughey, while describing a strange series of incidents in the summer of 1982 that led to a double-murderer, Malcolm MacArthur, being apprehended in the house of the Irish Attorney General Patrick Connolly.The corresponding acronym, GUBU, was coined by Conor Cruise O'Brien, and both it and the phrase are still occasionally used in Irish political discourse to describe notorious scandals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Re: GUBU moment of the day

Post by Hodors Appletart »

can we ban daily heil links please

absolute gutter journalism
Hold The Door
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

isha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm Don't want to be an arse but my GUBU moment just yesterday was Jessica Alves saying they have frozen their sperm so that when they get their uterus transplant they can fertilise the egg(s) that will be implanted in themselves. I honestly did not ever think I would have to contemplate such twists in the tale of our species.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailyma ... plant.html

Almost every day these days provides GUBU moments, I find.
I think to qualify as a GUBU moment it needs to be Irish and political/establishment related. Jessica Alba definitely merits a WTF moment though! Perhaps that could be another thread. I think WTF moment is better than Wokism of the Day. It's more all encompassing.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm can we ban daily heil links please

This sort of thing is clearly why we need Katherine Zappone. :D :D

Katherine, if you're reading this between flights to New York, please get in touch and we'll make you a mod so you can sort out our freedom of expression.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm can we ban daily heil links please

Precisely why the role is needed - you WILL read what I approve of or else.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane