Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

The burning issues of the day
isha
Verified Username

Re: Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

Post by isha »

Can people be fired just for having voices that make you want to punch them?? Aaaaaaagggghhh. What an annoying way of speaking...

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I've actually been in the Twitter headquarters off Piccadilly Circus for work, it really some spot, fantastic canteen best I've ever come across
KHD

Post by KHD »

My own personal feeling on the Elon Musk buyout of twitter is that there are not going to be many changes. Musk is a business man and he's not going to run it into the ground for the sake of a couple of thousand likes. Twitter traffic thrives on conflict. It will still be a cesspit of conflict and hatefulness with maybe a few rules relaxed, if that even happens. Peace and good loving content doesn't generate much money in social media.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I've been in IT for many years, specifically the human computer interface. I can tell you for sure that most large IT orgs are bloated and/or overstaffed. The real work is generally done by a few with the mediocre support of the many. I've been in roles myself where I 'coasted' for a few years while dealing with complicated personal life events etc.

Ultimately I predict not much or not much terrible will happen. There's so much pearl clutching going at the moment but people seem to forget that they can control who they follow, who follows them, who they block, ignore, respond to, and the language used. Folks are having conniptions about the prospect of encountering a disagreeable opinion. We all see just a tiny sliver of Twitter every day - we effectively avoid huge parts of twitter and have full control over what we're exposed to. Seriously the only threat to twitter is that mass hysteria might cause a mass exit thereby disturbing the balance of available opinions on the platform.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I was thinking that if Musk makes major changes and brings back the likes of Trump, Kanye, etc he knows advertising will drop. That's Twitters income. He's not that stupid I think......

Edit - Damn you autocorrect
Last edited by Hairy-Joe on Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I find it hard to believe that Twitter, Facebook, Ebay etc actually have employees.

Given that when you try and raise an issue with them, you get formulaic, automated responses that are very bot-like.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:24 pm I find it hard to believe that Twitter, Facebook, Ebay etc actually have employees.

Given that when you try and raise an issue with them, you get formulaic, automated responses that are very bot-like.
As my account was suspended permanently for posting that picture of Giulia, the butch bald “lady” GAA player with a cock and balls - and calling him a man, Musk has a lot to try to fix!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

So, so beautiful :D

Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

I can only hope that Elon runs it into the ground and it dies off - just as how Facebook is dying while Zuckerberg focuses on his Metaverse fantasy

Both platforms have a lot to answer for in regards to Westerm society today - some of the quotes from tweets in posts above are proof of that, but more damagingly is the effect a lot of the nonsense is having on life outside of the platform.

Post by 95438756 »

- nonsense and chaos.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Twitter post Elon Musk ( couldn't resist )
Da0toU5WAAEW9so.jpg
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Chief twit he’s calling himself :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:49 pm Chief twit he’s calling himself :lol:
First sensible thing he's said.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:34 pm As my account was suspended permanently for posting that picture of Giulia, the butch bald “lady” GAA player with a cock and balls - and calling him a man, Musk has a lot to try to fix!
Was that mid-September or earlier?

Someone I follow there with similar views has dropped to 0 following and not posted for a few weeks
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Never heard of Thierry Breton before but who the fck does he think he is?

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:22 pm Was that mid-September or earlier?

Someone I follow there with similar views has dropped to 0 following and not posted for a few weeks
Yeah about then!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:39 pm I was thinking that if Musk makes major changes and brings back the likes of Trump, Kanye, etc he knows advertising will drop. That's Twitters income. He's not that stupid I think......

Turns out I'm wrong. GM has stopped it's advertising on Twitter
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

GM and Musk's Tesla are rivals.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:39 pm I was thinking that if Musk makes major changes and brings back the likes of Trump, Kanye, etc he knows advertising will drop. That's Twitters income. He's not that stupid I think......

The cynic in me suspects Musk's interest in Twitter is nothing to do with free speech or advertising income, I think Twitter is a means to a profitable end.

Although the blue hair brigade make the most noise, there are a lot of other Twitter users quietly having sensible conversations. And one of the most active demographics is traders and investors.

Musk knows better than most the power of Twitter to move markets, his "funding secured" tweet and his musings on bitcoin have demonstrated this perfectly. Trump also had the ability to nudge the S&P one way or the other with an apparently ill-judged tweet. Maybe it was not so ill-judged if he had a big short position on S&P futures!

The problem with this from Musk's point of view is as an ordinary Twitter user, albeit a high profile one, it is very public and repeated activity along these lines is likely to cause a bit of trouble with the SEC.

However if you own the company you can be a) a lot more subtle about market moving messages and b) a lot more targeted.

Whether you like it or not, Twitter has shown it's outsized influence on the "narrative" and shaping trends.

If you were able to harness that ability to influence market sentiment and trend it would be enormously profitable.

Of course for the both the average investor and even the mega rich hedge funds it is impossible to harness that ability consistently and discretely, no matter how much you might daydream about the possibilities.

But if you're the richest man in the world and you start daydreaming about the possibilities, well then of course it's not impossible. You just need to buy the company!
KHD

Post by KHD »

Head of twitter censorship fired on air. Not sure if its a p1ss take or not.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:32 am Head of twitter censorship fired on air. Not sure if its a p1ss take or not.
It’s an old podcast with Vijaya Gadde and Jack Dorsey. It really revealed how bias they were at twitter. Very interesting podcast, among the most interesting of all time.

Interestingly Gadde was among the first fired and was the twitter employee Musk was addressing his letters to. She was also in the one from the internal twitter call that broke down crying upon hearing musk was taking over. I hated just about everything she said on that podcast.

Last edited by knownunknown on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Thanks unknown must take a listen
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:42 pm Thanks unknown must take a listen
It’s a long one but addresses the kind of issues we’re seeing on boards and hate speech legislation etc….

E.g. twitter took the ideological position with the idea of ‘misgendering’; to a lot of people it means calling someone a different sex than what they were born(I.e. calling a man a woman) To the regressive left this means calling someone the opposite sex of what they declare themselves to be. If you misgender an animal like a cat you’ve got its gender wrong; you’re not committing a hate crime against a cat.

Gadde goes on to explain that their rules are only there to prevent harassment of individuals etc.. but then Tim Pool shows her all the accounts that were banned for saying ‘men aren’t women though’ as well as all the people that were allowed to harass others. It follows ideological lines.

We’re just a couple of years behind with this stuff and we only need to look to the US to see what’s coming here.
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:44 pm It’s a long one but addresses the kind of issues we’re seeing on boards and hate speech legislation etc….

E.g. twitter took the ideological position with the idea of ‘misgendering’; to a lot of people it means calling someone a different sex than what they were born(I.e. calling a man a woman) To the regressive left this means calling someone the opposite sex of what they declare themselves to be. If you misgender an animal like a cat you’ve got its gender wrong; you’re not committing a hate crime against a cat.

Gadde goes on to explain that their rules are only there to prevent harassment of individuals etc.. but then Tim Pool shows her all the accounts that were banned for saying ‘men aren’t women though’ as well as all the people that were allowed to harass others. It follows ideological lines.

We’re just a couple of years behind with this stuff and we only need to look to the US to see what’s coming here.
I've listened to about 40 minutes of it there unknown. Can't listen to anymore of it. From what I see on twitter with regard to other current global issues, I can't take anything she says seriously. She's basically full of sh1t from what I can see.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:42 pm I've listened to about 40 minutes of it there unknown. Can't listen to anymore of it. From what I see on twitter with regard to other current global issues, I can't take anything she says seriously. She's basically full of sh1t from what I can see.
That was the general consensus at the time among those who listened! It can only be a good thing for the world that she no longer yields that power