Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

The burning issues of the day
Hairy-Joe

Re: Elon Musk buys 100% of Twitter

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Musk appears to be suspending those he doesn't like or doesn't fawn at the alter of Musk.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:48 am Musk appears to be suspending those he doesn't like or doesn't fawn at the alter of Musk.
So no different from what the previous management did.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:58 am So no different from what the previous management did.
But they figured out who to keep onside enough to pay the bills. Musk hasn't figures that out as the advertisers appear not to be using Twitter. At the end of the day, the bills have to be paid......
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

So he banned a bunch of CNN reporters. This is the best action ever taken against fake news!!!
Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

Jesus, he's the definition of a snowflake.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Good to see healthy diversity of opinion on the thread 🙂

Way back at the beginning of the thread I think I said here that I'm not hugely fond of Elon Musk. Specifically I object to him renting women's wombs for his surrogate pregnancies. I also think he is a spoilt rich kid

However I am extremely impressed at what he has done re the child abuse material on Twitter.

I also think that anyone who doxxes in any way on any platform should be banned or suspended if the doxxing is less direct. It doesn't matter that the information is public - I can look up people's home addresses in Sweden for example, if I know their names, but publicly posting it on a timeline is not cool. Not with the way weirdos are these days. Antifa and stuff. Plus political elites are not beyond extremely illegal/sinister activity if they don't like someone or if they are unveiling their wrongdoings. So I understand Musk being hyper aware of her personal security.

If people don't doxx they should be grand.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Isha, I don't regard publishing publically available information doxxing. Flight information is public information. Our register of electorate is public. How is that doxxing?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:38 pm Isha, I don't regard publishing publically available information doxxing. Flight information is public information. Our register of electorate is public. How is that doxxing?
Well people can probably look up where any politician or celebrity lives, but say in a twitter thread communicating with such a person one responded to their posts that one didn't like by writing This person lives at no 12, A Road, The Village, Dublin - even if the information could be got publicly it's a kind of incitement to violence or at least a veiled threat.

People are publishing Musk's planes whereabouts as a threat, in essence. Being casual about it, saying anyone can find this out, is just disingenuous. It's not good to encourage this from any side of a debate.

It's like going to a politicians home or a judge's home to protest - it's a new element that has crept into public life, and, I may be wrong, but I don't think it's cool.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Musk appears to be backtracking on the journalist bans this morning.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Was he ever learned money can’t buy you everything?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:12 am But they figured out who to keep onside enough to pay the bills. Musk hasn't figures that out as the advertisers appear not to be using Twitter. At the end of the day, the bills have to be paid......
Twitter were haemorrhaging money long before musk took over and nobody seemed to care.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:38 pm Isha, I don't regard publishing publically available information doxxing. Flight information is public information. Our register of electorate is public. How is that doxxing?
Doxing: (verb)

the action or process of searching for and publishing private or identifying information about a particular individual on the internet, typically with malicious intent.

Remember when project veritas was banned for doxing? https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/12/2227 ... violations
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 pm Doxing: (verb)

the action or process of searching for and publishing private or identifying information about a particular individual on the internet, typically with malicious intent.

Remember when project veritas was banned for doxing? https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/12/2227 ... violations
Exactly! Flight plans are public information!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:45 pm Exactly! Flight plans are public information!
Posting identifying information also qualifies as doxing regardless if it’s public or not. What’s important is usually the intent. What is the intent of the person that created the bot to do this?

Honest answers please here!
jmcc
Verified Username

Post by jmcc »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:45 pm Exactly! Flight plans are public information!
Some aircraft are assigned temporary private IDs to prevent tracking. Musk's was one of them using temporary IDs. Sweeney's elonjet bot used software to negate the private ID and still track Musk's aircraft. It is not as simple a story as it first appeared.

Regards...jmcc
KHD

Post by KHD »

Finally, the real shit is being disclosed.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

This is why Musk’s purchase of twitter, taking the reins of control from the wokerati, is good for the world.
X Corp, formerly Twitter, has been "forced by court decisions" to block certain popular accounts in Brazil and is prohibited from giving details of the order, the company said on Saturday.
X owner Elon Musk said in a post on the platform, that this order could lead to a total loss of revenue and shut down of the offices in Brazil, promising that he would legally challenge it where possible.
The social medial company said it is unaware why the blocking orders have been issued and is barred from giving details of the impacted accounts, adding that it is threatened with daily fines if it fails to comply.”
The woke hate him because he bought their censorship machine and revealed it for what it is.

There is a reason that freedom of expression is included in the universal declaration of human rights at the U.N. and there is a reason the woke want to circumvent this principle(and have proven so repeatedly like in the twitter files that were revealed). They want to alter public discourse by silencing opinions.
https://www.reuters.com/technology/x-ch ... 024-04-07/

To get a feel for this Brazil administration have a read of this, sounds like a lot of similar problems we’re experiencing in Ireland. Thankfully there is someone like Musk with enough F.uck you money to tell these guys where to stick their authoritarian censorship, up their holes.

https://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/vida-e- ... concretos/
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Condensed TLDR;
Brazilian politicians wanted x to suspend prominent politicians, comedians and journalists from their platform, while not revealing the real reason why and saying they broke their own rules. They were given two hours to act under penalty of fines.